Life Ring, HMCS Quebec
This elaborately painted life ring was part of the equipment of the Canadian cruiser HMCS Quebec.
One of two cruisers the Royal Canadian Navy acquired during the Second World War, Quebec had begun its Canadian service as HMCS Uganda. Joining the British Pacific Fleet in April 1945, Uganda helped protect aircraft carriers against enemy aircraft attacks and bombarded Japanese shore positions. Placed in reserve in 1947 as part of post-war cutbacks, Uganda was reactivated and renamed Quebec in 1952, serving as a training ship before being paid off in 1956.