Battle-Class Trawler HMCS Ypres
The trawler HMCS Ypres, seen here in Bedford Basin, Nova Scotia, was used as a training ship from 1923 until 1932.
Ypres was one of a useful group of 12 trawlers built for local defence and minesweeping during the First World War. It was retained after the war, while most of the other trawlers were sold or transferred to other government departments. For much of the 1920s, trawlers like Ypres formed an appreciable part of the Royal Canadian Navy's fleet.
George Metcalf Archival Collection