WRCNS on Parliament Hill, Ottawa
In this photograph, members of the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS) march past a reviewing stand on Parliament Hill.
As their officer (front left) salutes, the others perform "eyes right" by turning their heads to the right, a compliment for the dignitaries (out of picture, at left) reviewing them. While the first members of the WRCNS were trained at Kingsmill House in Ottawa in the fall of 1942, training soon moved to HMCS Conestoga near Galt, Ontario.
George Metcalf Archival Collection