HMCS Prince Robert Refitted as an Armed Merchant Cruiser
The Royal Canadian Navy's practice of adapting and arming civilian craft for wartime service reached its climax with the refitting of three passenger vessels into potent warships.
Small luxury liners built in 1930, the "Prince" ships were acquired by the government in 1940. Extensive conversions and old British 6-inch guns turned them into armed merchant cruisers. Larger than any other ships in Canadian service at the time, they served widely and usefully during the war. Two later became ships carrying infantry for amphibious landings, while Prince Robert became an anti-aircraft cruiser.
George Metcalf Archival Collection