Bell HTL-4 Helicopter
A Bell HTL-4 helicopter hovers in front of a hangar, likely at HMCS Shearwater near Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
This particular example was one of the first three helicopters acquired by the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) in 1951. The RCN used the HTL-4 and the similar HTL-6 for utility operations such as aerial observation and photography, as well as for training pilots destined for larger helicopters. The hangar in the background may be part of the navy's School of Naval Aircraft Maintenance, which was based at HMCS Shearwater.
George Metcalf Archival Collection