|Formation Sign 4th Canadian Armoured Division||Uniform Sleeve Patch,4th Canadian Armoured Brigade||Unit Serial and Arm of Service Flash, 1943 1945|
Mobilized in September 1940, the 4th Canadian Division contained in its order of battle, the 10th, 11th and 12th Infantry Brigades. In 1942 Ottawa took the decision to convert the entire division to an armoured formation, a move that required a considerable amount of re-organisation. At that time an armoured division called for just two brigades (in the case of 4th Armoured Division these would be the 3rd and 4th Armoured Brigades) and so only six of the original nine infantry battalions became armoured regiments, the remaining three battalions being diverted to other formations. In 1943 a further reorganisation took place when an infantry brigade, the 10th, replaced one of the armoured brigades in each armoured division. This move left the division with just one armoured brigade, the 4th.
Arriving in Normandy in July 1944, the Brigade saw service in the battles that took the Canadians from Caen to Falaise. Unlike their peers in 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, the 4th almost always fought in support of its affiliated 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade.
Following the Normandy campaign the Brigade saw service in Belgium, Holland and Germany before being disbanded in Holland in 1946.
For further reading see: John Marteinson and Michael McNorgan, The Royal Canadian Armoured Corps: An Illustrated History, Robin Brass Studio, 2000.