This British single-seat fighter-bomber was put into production in 1940 and began service in 1941. First intended to be a low-level interceptor, it was switched to ground attack missions in 1943. It became the Royal Air Force’s most effective tactical strike aircraft and served on many missions, including D-Day. It was also used by the Royal Canadian Royal Air Force, especially by the No. 440 Squadron – City of Ottawa. By October 1945, it was no longer in service.