This section brings together the approximately 700 objects and photographs used in Canada's Naval History. Use this section to directly access objects and photographs grouped by type, as shown below, or use the search function above to search through them by title.
Members of the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service at HMCS Coverdale, at Coverdale, New Brunswick, listen for German radio transmissions.
Coverdale, which began operations in early 1944, was built to listen to radio transmissions from German U-Boats (submarines) and determine the direction, or bearing, from which they originated. The operators seen here listened for German radio transmissions and, after picking them up, would alert Wrens operating different equipment who would then determine the direction of the signal. Multiple bearings from bases like Coverdale helped Allied commanders determine the location of U-Boats and take action to avoid or attack them.
George Metcalf Archival Collection