HMCS Stadacona and HMCS Niobe
This view of Halifax harbour shows HMCS Stadacona and HMCS Niobe.
Stadacona (foreground), a former luxury yacht armed with a 4-inch gun, assisted in patrols and convoy work in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and on the east coast. Niobe, an obsolete cruiser, was recommissioned as a depot ship in September 1915. In this role, it was a floating facility for accommodation, training, and naval administration. Only two of Niobe's four funnels are standing, which indicates this photograph was taken after the December 1917 Halifax explosion.
George Metcalf Archival Collection