Wrens Recruiting Advertisement
This 1958 newspaper advertisement targets women as recruits for the Wrens, the women's service of the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN).
In addition to the primary image of a woman in uniform, the advertisement also uses a picture of one of the navy's new destroyers as a background. Originally established in 1942 during the Second World War, the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service had been disbanded in 1946. Initially re-established as part of the naval reserves in 1951, in 1955 the Wrens became part of the RCN's regular force.
George Metcalf Archival Collection