20 Greek Greats
Mix and Match. Complete list 1 from the slate of names in list 2.
- __________ He created one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
- __________ He was regarded, even during his lifetime, as the ideal physician.
- __________ The Oracle at Delphi called him the wisest man. The father of ethics.
- __________ He laid the foundations of western philosophy and founded the Academy.
- __________ The founder of Greek tragedy. Fought in the Battle of Marathon.
- __________ The greatest Greek comic poet. Author of the Lysistrata.
- __________ He was considered to be the greatest Athenian orator.
- __________ Renowned for his victory odes celebrating athletic achievement.
- __________ The greatest Greek female poet. Only fragments of her work survives.
- __________ While in exile, wrote the history of the 2nd Peloponnesian War.
- __________ Soldier, philosopher and historian. Wrote March of the Ten Thousand.
- __________ His paintings were so realistic the birds flew down to eat the grapes.
- __________ A famous sculptor who produced “the Discus-Thrower”.
- __________ Philosopher and zoologist. Founder of school called “the Lyceum”.
- __________ Leading political figure. The Parthenon is one of his legacies.
- __________ Responsible for the Greek victory at Salamis, but later ostracized.
- __________ Athenian statesman, lawmaker & poet who reformed the constitution.
- __________ Credited as being the father of Athenian democracy. Introduced ostracism.
- __________ Regarded by Cicero and others to be “the father of History”.
- __________ Called the greatest Greek poet. Author of the Iliad and the Odyssey.
|A. Cleisthenes||B. Solon|
|C. Phideas||D. Themistocles|
|E. Hippocrates||F. Pericles|
|G. Socrates||H. Aristotle|
|I. Myron||J. Plato|
|K. Aeschylus||L. Zeuxis|
|M. Aristophanes||N. Xenophon|
|O. Demosthenes||P. Thucydides|
|Q. Herodotus||R. Sappho|
|S. Homer||T. Pindar|