In 1992, Canadians helped secure the international airport in the besieged city of Sarajevo in Bosnia-Herzegovina. The airport was opened to humanitarian aid transports, providing a lifeline to the United Nations peacekeeping mission and vulnerable civilians in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Canadian soldiers ferried aid from the airport into the city through a gauntlet of checkpoints and snipers.
Artist Katherine Taylor painted the operation, in which three Canadian soldiers were injured. The artwork shows Corporal Josélitho Boudreault (centre) repairing a light utility vehicle under fire while solders evacuate the wounded to ambulance.
- Date Made Between 1992 and 1997
- Katherine Taylor
- Corporal Josélitho Boudreault
- Institution Canadian War Museum
- Collection Beaverbrook Collection of War Art
- Object No. 19970052-001
- Medium Watercolour, graphite and coloured pencil on paper